Friday, April 9, 2010

An introduction - what I'm going to talk about

Ok, so let me introduce myself. Me? What do I say? Hmmmm. That's harder than it sounds! Ok, stop messing about: I am a type 1 diabetic who wants to have a baby. I'm 27 years old and married 1-year-and-a-smidge to my wonderful 45 year old husband.


He's a divorcée with three fantastic kids from a previous marriage. We see them every second weekend. I've lived with them for 6 years, and have grown fond of the idea of having some of my own one day. Of course, my hubby being so much older than me causes a few issues in timing. Ideally I would like to do a bit more in my career, maybe start my own business. But if I want kids, I have to start thinking about it now. This is what I told myself about 3 years ago, as I was finally figuring out that this was the cause of my lasting and draining depression. I wanted kids, but hubby had no idea of my thoughts. We had never discussed it. I knew when I married him that he had a vasectomy. So when I figured it all out, and realised that YES, I WANT TO BE A MOTHER!! it was a relief - and then of course: how to tell him? It took me one and a half years to pluck up the courage to talk to him about it, and all I can say is that I shouldn't have waited. Because he was happy and nervous. Just like me :)


I know that's all very complex so far, but bear with me, there's more...


Since I am a type 1 diabetic, I knew that any ideas about pregnancy would greatly interest my doctors. So before I dragged hubby off to the GP (family doctor) to talk about what was involved in a vasectomy reversal, I chatted with my endocrinologist and diabetes nurse educator about what I may need to do with my diabetes care. I am a brittle diabetic, despite intensive blood glucose monitoring and multiple daily injections of Humalog and Lantus. That was months ago, and I remember the endo mentioning an insulin pump, an idea which I have always resisted (read: been scared of) up til now. So I have that aspect to think of as well.


So we trotted off to the GP and he explained that since hubby's vasectomy was 9 years ago, the chances of a successful reversal were not too good because of possible scar tissue. But, he's a very nice doctor and he understood how much this means to me, so he suggested that before we look at spending what could potentially be a lot of money on any sort of fertility treatment, we do a bit of investigative work first. "Insurance" was how he described it. So I was sent off for a bunch of blood tests for things like FSH, LH, and something else I can't remember, and hubby was asked to do a sperm count, and promptly didn't do one. sigh :P Ohwellnevermind.


The first lot of test results for me came back good, and the GP suggested another test, which I would have to pay for: an internal sonogram/ultrasound. This would check for any major anatomical trouble with my girly bits. Although the sonographer gave me the impression there was nothing abnormal, the doctor informed me that in fact I had a polyp in my uterus. What does that mean? Well, they're fairly common, and normally benign. But to be on the safe side he referred me on to an obstetrician/gynocologist. Just to get a second opinion.


And that will be the contents of my next post, cos writing this has been a bit emotional and rather tiring. Best of luck and see you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment