Monday, May 10, 2010

I will get to see my OWN anaesthetist, at least...

I got a message after work on Friday saying my Tuesday appointment with the anaesthetist had been moved back a day to Monday. Oh that's just great. I had booked annual leave off work to attend on Tuesday, and also booked another doctor's apointment for later in the morning to use up the extra time.

This morning, Monday, I woke up earlier so I could call the hospital and try to fix it. But I was too early; they don't start taking calls at the booking office until about 8am, by which time I will have to be at work already. So the I've-not-had-my-coffee-yet-sounding receptionist trasnferred me around to another department with someone I could talk to, who explained that the appointment change was due to the pre-admissions nurse noting that I was diabetic, and would need to see the actual anaesthetist who would be there at my surgery.

What? So you normally see just some random anaesthetist? Sounds a bit stoopid to me!

Anyway, her heart was in the right place, because although it has well and truly mucked my day around, that nurse picked up on the fact that I will need special care by MY anaesthetist before, during, and after my op.

For instance, I am not allowed to eat anything for breakfast or lunch... that's a minor inconvenience for most people, but for me that's a calamity. I cannot just not eat for that long. Who knows what my blood sugars will do? Stress will put them higher (I guess), but lack of food will put them low (I know), but a reduced insulin dose to cope with no food with could put them higher again (if I don't get the dose exactly spot on!).

The nurse also emailed my endocrinologist to get him talking directly to the anaesthetist, which is a good thing. I want everyone on the same page here!

Long story short, I have re-jiggled all my appointments, and cancelled my annual leave for tomorrow. My surgery is at the end of next week and they managed to squeeze me in with a new anaesthetist appointment early next week. Whew. I couldn't stand waiting much more!

Oh, for an idea of how anaesthesia can affect a diabetic, check out Kerri Morrone Sparlings account of her daughters birth by c-section.

No comments:

Post a Comment