Friday, May 7, 2010

Pre-admission appointment with the nurse

I took this morning off work so I could attend a nurse-led pre-admission appointment in preparation for my hysteroscopy operation later in the month. The letter advising me of this appointment said it could take up to 3 hours!

The day didn't start off well; I woke up with a wicked low and a raging headache. Or rather, I pretended I wasn't awake and fell back asleep, only to be woken by Mr Kitty in time to gobble some breakfast and rush to the hospital. I took my Lantus, but because I was only 3.3 mmol/L I decided to hold off on taking the Humalog until my blood sugar had come up to a more healthy level. I got to the outpatient's reception area just in time, and there was a long line of people waiting.

I was in the waiting room for over half an hour, and getting antsy cos I only had the morning off from work, and I was starting to seriously worry that I wouldn't make it back in time. But the lovely nurse came and got me, and did a thorough medical history. She was a bit bemused when I sat down and started doing a(nother) blood test, and injection :) Time for Humalog! Now! I had gone up to 14.4 mmol/L already!

She took my blood pressure, did weight and height (I only ever seem to get shorter these days :P), and listened to my chest. She listened a little longer. "Did anyone ever tell you that you have a slight heart murmur? Well, I think I can hear one anyway..." Me: "No, that's interesting." And it could also explain why I'm always so goddamn tired all the time. So I've booked ANOTHER appointment with my GP next week, to confirm or deny the lovely-nurse's diagnosis. We shall wait and see what happens....

* The rest of day is spent getting more blood tests, visiting my hubby at his work to help out on his film set, go to my work in the arvo and do prep for film shoot next week, go low twice in the afternoon, once in a meeting - oh what fun! Have my newly-diagnosed diabetic friend asking me diabetes questions all afternoon, go home have fish and chips for dinner YUM *

...but wait! What's this? I get home, after work on a Friday, and there is a message saying they've moved my Tuesday anaesthetist appointment to Monday! WTF? You tell me basically the day before, when I can't call either the hospital to reschedule, or my work to re-organise time off??!? What the hell, hospital-reception-lady!? That's not on! Grumpy now... I'm supposed to be working on a film shoot on Monday, so re-organising work and my GP appointment back to Monday from Tuesday is such a pain in the arse. Not a happy camper.

In other, happier news, I have joined the TuDiabetes community. I can't believe I didn't know about this "facebook for diabetics" before now! It's great! Pop over and have a look today :)

Have a great weekend! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment